- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Flea and Tick Prevention from Your Stockton Veterinarian
External parasites are threats for all dogs and cats, regardless of their lifestyle or environment, and prevention is always easier than treatment. Every dog and cat should be on a parasite prevention regimen, to kill adult parasites and prevent further infestation. At Venetian Pet Hospital, we take this task very seriously. Flea and tick prevention is a huge part of every patient’s wellness care, and we offer tick and flea treatment for pets who are already infested.
Is your dog or cat protected from fleas and ticks? If not, make sure you understand why parasite prevention matters.
Why Parasite Prevention is So Important
Fleas and ticks are tiny but mighty, and they can cause health consequences a lot more severe than itching. Here are some of the risks of fleas and ticks:
- Irritation – Of course, skin irritation is the most common symptom of external parasites, due to biting and the saliva itself
- Internal Parasites – Some pets swallow fleas and get tapeworm or another internal parasite as a result
- Anemia – Both ticks and fleas can drink so much blood that “host” pets develop a severe iron deficiency
- Tick-borne Diseases – Some ticks carry and transmit serious diseases, including Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease
- Open Wounds – As pets scratch their irritated skin, they may break it open and suffer infections and pain as a result
Different Types of Flea and Tick Prevention
Parasite prevention looks a little different for every pet, but your veterinarian will help you decide which preventatives are right for your pet. We offer a wide variety of flea and tick prevention options, including the following methods of prevention:
- Oral Medication – Some pets receive one or two pills each month, which provide parasite resistance from the inside out
- Sprays – Topical sprays help kill existing fleas and prevent new fleas from hatching and spreading
- Ointments – Another topical option, some strong ointments, and gels can be used on a monthly basis to make sure pets are inhospitable parasite hosts
Request an Appointment with a Stockton Vet
Is your dog or cat vulnerable to parasites? Preventative medication and regular wellness exams are their best chance at avoiding fleas, ticks, and the health consequences of both. Luckily, our veterinary team is here to help. We offer several options for flea and tick prevention at Venetian Pet Hospital, and we also help pets who need or and tick treatment immediately. New patients enjoy a discount on their first visit, so call 209-477-3926 to request an appointment at our Stockton veterinary hospital today.